Who We Are?
Welcome to Queen Mary’s College!
Queen Mary’s College has been in the forefront of the education of women ever since July 1914, when the Government of Madras instituted the Madras Women’s College. The initial intake of 33 students was housed in a modest building called ‘Capper House’. However, by 1915, the college premises were expanded through the government’s annexure of the area surrounding Capper House. At this stage it offered only Intermediate courses. In 1916 under graduate courses were offered in History and Economics. Eventually Intermediate courses in subjects like Geography, Indian Music, Physics, Chemistry and Home Science were introduced.
Miss De La Hey was the first Principal of the college. The name of the college was changed to Queen Mary’s College in 1917. This college which was started on an experimental basis flourished and gained permanent status in 1918. By this time it had acquired fame and many young women who entered its portals for education, took wing after completing their courses.
An education in Queen Mary’s College was much sought after by parents of young women and families of high social standing coveted education in QMC for their daughters. This train of success carried the college to its momentous Golden Jubilee Celebration in 1964. To witness this occasion, Miss. D. Delahey M.A.,B.T., the first Principal of the College travelled from England: she offered her felicitations and delivered the welcome address. The Golden Jubilee Hall was inaugurated on this occasion. The building which houses the Golden Jubilee Hall also has a number of classrooms.
Another milestone was crossed in 1965, when the late, Mr. M. Bhaktavatsalam inaugurated the PUC course for the evening college.
In 1975 Diamond Jubilee of the college was celebrated.