About Alumni

Centenary plans and events

  • Pre centenary planning meetings have been held through 2013.
  • Several events were held and sub committees created to address specific tasks.
  • OSA volunteers and staff of the college worked together to address: fund raising, planning events , souvenirs, centenary publication,media and public relations, infrastrucure improvements, hospitality and increasing registration of old students.
  • Special Centenary events fixed for July and Dec.2014.

Major decisions taken and tasks completed:

  • To hold AGM in March 2014 and share all plans.
  • To celebrate 100th Birthday of our college on 14th July,2014, by installing a commemorative pillar and release of a centenary postal stamp.
  • To plan a three day celebration in Dec.2014, inviting major Central and State heads, alumni and staff.
  • To bring out a commemorative book and/or souvenir on the occasion.
  • To hold live programs on the occasion.
  • To fund raise and inaugurate a centenary building for the college during this year.

A walk down memory lane:

On July 14th ,1914 , the Madras College for Women was started in the Capper house building on the Marina, acquired by the then Govt. Of Madras, supported by Lord Pentland the Governor General.

Ms.Dorothy de la Hey was persuaded to head the same. Sir Henry Stone, the Director of Public Instructions, admitted all 37 girls who applied.

First Annual Day- on 29/1/1915 reported in the Hindu as a huge success!

  • Within one year the student strength rose from 70 to 108.
  • The first two lady professors besides Ms.De la Hey were Ms.Theresa Joseph and Ms.Dhanvanthi Handoo (who later became Lady Rama Rao.)
  • To be named after Queen Mary- once formal approval came in 1917.
  • The Pentland and Stone Blocks came up in record time and Jeypore Block to link the two, thanks to the generous donation by the Raja of Jeypore.

Those were the days!

As per the first report by Ms.De la Hey to the then Director of Public Instruction (Sir H.Stone), the college had within the first year increased admissions from 70 to 108 to the Intermediate class.

  • Of the total number there were 25 Europeans,
  • 39 Indian Christians and 44 Hindus.
  • 33 Europeans were hostelites.

The small military bungalow was rented to create a new kitchen and house the girls. A dining room was built here.

Plans for the future?

  • Save our precious heritage- library, Stone,Pentland and Jepore Blocks.
  • Revive Pysics and Chem. Labs, Tashkent Terrace.
  • Improve infrastructure and make QMC litter free.
  • Pave the way for another Golden era for the first College for women in this metro.

Courtesy The Hindu Archives- dt.29/7/1918.